Friday 26 September 2014

All Candidates, Debate!

Though we're officially into fall now, it was a beautiful summer day none the less. It was a great day to do a big pile of canvassing.

Picture perfect morning
I'm done my second round of visiting through the Heritage District (my neighbourhood) so today, I concentrated on the south side of King Street. Somehow, it all seems much quicker this time around. Maybe it's because I've memorized everyone's mailbox locations (I don't quite have an eidetic memory but I do have a strong affinity for visual cues) or maybe I'm just imagining things. 

Zombie family
Now that summer vacations are over, Dundas has assumed a much different character than it had over the summer. The streets are quieter, fewer people are home and most noticeably, there are no sounds of kids playing and laughing. Plus, people are already putting up their Hallowe'en decorations!

Epic election material
This mailbox cracked me up. I remembered it from my first trip through town and I was curious if it was still in the same state. I laughed when I saw the card I'd left there two months ago. It had accumulated a few more mayoral leaflets and as you can see, the material goes all the way back to the last provincial election. I half wonder if I dug deep enough if I'd find some vintage Mulroney flyers...

Just after lunch, I received a long awaited/rumoured message from the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, Dundas Division. The much anticipated All-Candidate's debate at Town Hall is scheduled for Monday, October 20th at 7PM (doors open at 6:30). 

Although it is timely for those who like to leave their voting decisions for the last week of the campaign (I'm often guilty of this myself... just ask me who I like for Mayor!), it is unfortunate that the debate comes after the last advance poll date. 

Again, advance polling typically favours the incumbent but as I'm sure you know if you're reading this, Dundas has no incumbent so the playing field is more or less even on that score.

Finally, I've mentioned earlier that I'm proud to be the first municipal candidate in Hamilton to have signed onto the Active Communities Pledge. Well, today, as a thank you, Share the Road sent all us pledgers a special icon to use on our websites to help us "certify" our commitment. So here it is (please click it to be taken to the Active Communities website):




No comments:

Post a Comment