Friday 5 September 2014

Let the Real Campaigning Begin!

With all the heat and heavy rain we've had this week, I think I picked just the right time to take a break from canvassing. Besides, it was always my plan to take a deep breath after Labour Day, regroup and finalize the last half of my campaign.

You might be wondering just what I've been doing with myself and all this "free" time. Why, plotting strategy of course!

It's been a very busy week all around. At City Hall, we were going through the last of the major committee meetings before the election. We had all the heavies from Public Works on Tuesday, to General Issues and Planning later in the week.

In the mayoral race, Brad Clark dropped his first major campaign "bomb" on Wednesday, coming out against LRT.

Closer to home, I chaired this month's Cycling Committee meeting on Wednesday at City Hall and as I mentioned yesterday, I already have a pretty full plate getting ready for the 2014 Ontario Youth Cup Championships on Saturday.

Amid all this, I carved out some time to finalize and order my last piece of campaign material: a snazzy rack card!

Those aren't my thumbs
Let me tell you, it's no small task distilling all the things I've learned and want to tell people about me and my ideas in a space that small. I basically wanted to combine a resumé and cover letter in one tidy package.

With all the clutter people are going to be finding in their mailboxes over the next six weeks, my main goal was to give them something bold that would break through the noise. My prior experience with my campaign postcards gave me the all the feedback I needed to know that I was on the right track.

It was worth all the effort. I can now use the content from this card as an outline for my long format op/ed pieces for the Spectator and Bay Observer and the refresh of my campaign website. I also suspect a lot of this material will make it to my opening remarks for the Cable 14 and All-Candidates debates.

As with anything, sweating the details at the start pays big dividends down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment