Sunday 19 October 2014

Home Stretch

At this point in the campaign, for me, it's definitely a battle between what I want to do and what I have to do. Our weekends are usually times when I get to chill and hang out with my family. At the tail end of an election campaign, not so much.

 We got up early and made a big breakfast and headed out to soccer. After that, I got dropped back home and set about making all our food for the week. We enjoyed lunch together and then I was off canvassing and getting myself out there, as usual.

I had a great afternoon, despite the weather. The people in Dundas are a great bunch and talking to them as I do is a lot of fun.

As usual, I had a lot of fun cooking too. I attempted my very first dashi!

Dashi is a Japanese soup stock. The principal ingredient is kombu, or dried kelp. At first, you soak it for half an hour in warm water. Then you score it length-wise and bring it to a boil. Once there, you remove the kombu and add in the bonito (dried, shaved tuna) flakes. Strain the broth and you are all set to make the best chowder you've ever had. Close your eyes and you're ocean-side!

Dashi as the bonito flakes steep
The rest of my cooking time was spent making a killer chili that should carry me through the end of the week.

I'm going to leave you with a seasonal image from around town and a picture from our dinner.

Dismemberment - always funny!
Oyster season is upon us!

Oh hai, PEI!
That's horseradish from our garden. I'm so proud! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment