Saturday 19 July 2014

A Quiet, Rainy Saturday

I'm not gonna lie; outside of Twitter, I didn't do a whole lot of campaigning today. The Mrs. is up to her ears writing a textbook chapter right now and that means that on weekends, I'm on parenting detail.

Don't get me wrong, I love it but there is little time to come up with amazing election strategies when you're busy repeating gems like "Look with your eyes, not your hands!!!"

I finally appreciate my Mom so much more than I did when I was a teenager.

Anyhow, I understand it's not that big a deal since my blogging friends tell me that traffic is really low on weekends at the best of times.

I know; let's talk about cooking!

I love cooking and with our busy schedules, I try to get most of mine done on Saturday afternoon while the boy is down for his nap. That way, no matter what the week may hold, we know that we're just a trip through the microwave away from a delicious yet nutritious dinner.

Today, I attempted something new: beef Rendang sliders. It's Malaysian (if you're Malaysian, please forgive my poor attempt at this).

Step 1: Break down a proper chunk of beef. I chose a short rib roast.

Step 2: Raise some peanut oil to high heat and fry a lot red curry paste until everything is bubbling nicely.

Step 3: Add cubed beef and get it all coated with the curry paste. Throw in some palm sugar (brown sugar is a fine substitute).

Step 4: Add 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 cinnamon sticks and 2 cups of nice homemade chicken stock. You can throw in a few kaffir lime leaves too if you have them.

Step 5: Let it simmer forever. You'll know when it's ready when it turns a deep mahogany brown and there's almost no liquid left.

Step 6: Serve on cute little slider buns with pickled red onions (I'll give anyone this recipe on request.), a few cilantro leaves and enjoy!

Before

After (yes, it's supposed to look like that)


We also had a great time at the Dundas library this morning. If your kids aren't yet enrolled in the Summer reading program, don't delay! There are contests and prizes and all kinds of fun activities. The boy has already earned three new books to call his own - it costs nothing to join and it's so much fun! Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment