Friday 18 July 2014

Playing Hooky

You'll have to forgive me if this post is somewhat brief as I've just returned from Hog Town with the boy on our first ever trip to the Honda Indy. Today was Fan Friday and admission was "free" with a donation to the Make A Wish Foundation.

I sprung him early from pre-school and we scooted down the QEW to the Ex to take in all the sights and sounds. We had an EPIC afternoon.

I have to admit that despite all my pretenses as a progressive and environmentally-minded individual, I have a profound weakness for motor-sports. In fact, in completing my election profile for The Spec earlier this week, I listed my "vice" as "fast cars". I guess it beats crack and driving an Escalade under the influence of cheap vodka but I digress.

I blame my Dad.

It was a great Daddy-son day and I really did owe it to him as I've been out campaigning pretty much all week. Highlights include when I talked the program guy into comping us a pit pass and the entire chaotic scene at the Hot Wheels pavilion - never have I seen so many little boys mesmerized while ACTUAL race cars were whizzing by at break-neck speeds.

Eyes on the prize.
No, I'm not going to sit here and try to charm you with cute kid pics (although if it works, I ain't complaining). I did in fact accomplish something substantive today: I completed the survery from the Hamiton & District Labour Council. I have to hand it to them; it really did make me think.

I'm quite pleased with my answers. The great thing about all the surveys and questionnaires you're asked to complete as a candidate is that they really make you carefully consider your position on all sorts of issues, especially, it seems, ones that you hadn't previously considered.

At the risk of sounding boastful, I was on fire. Here's the answer of which I'm the proudest. It was concerning how I would improve the way Council functions:

"I am not a member of nor am I affiliated with any political party. I am a dedicated non-partisan and greet every situation with an open mind. I pledge to not be swayed by any voting blocks that may form in Council. I will place an emphasis on evidence-based decision making and urge the rest of Council to follow suit. I will strive to work collaboratively with my fellow Councillors and in consultation with my Ward, City staff and all municipal employees. "

Finally, today was Nelson Mandela Day. He was a great inspiration to me and I get irritatingly misty every time I try to explain who he was to the boy.

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment