Tuesday 22 July 2014

It's Time for a Change

Day 2 of canvassing has come and gone. My feet are killing me but the Heritage District is in the bag (minus a short length of Park Street). It's been a very eye-opening experience, to say the least and I'm really enjoying getting to know each and every street of our town so intimately - and I'm still basically in my own neighbourhood!

With temperatures reaching the low 30s this afternoon, I smartened up and made sure to take some electrolytes in the afternoon. Salt was still crusting my temples as I got home. It was a HOT one!

Hitting the pavement for three-hour stretches is like a series of small vignettes interspersed with long stretches of sweating and dropping cards in vexingly difficult to locate mailboxes and slots.

Naturally, the people I meet are the highlights (also, the cats are really nice too).

Here are just few "moments" from my day:

"It's time for a change!" This came from the first person I ran into this morning. I was actually quite surprised considering its source. It pays to keep in mind that Dundas is a voting town - our turn-out in the last Provincial election was well in excess of 60%!

I also came across our crossing-guard as she was jogging by. "I didn't know you were running!" I explained that I am expressly keeping my public persona separate from my private life. When I'm "Daddy", I"m off the clock.

My last anecdote for today concerns a car that pulled up to a very nice house I was visiting. "Do you live here?" Nope, it was Meals on Wheels. It turns out it takes three volunteers to cover Dundas. It was a brief but enlightening chat.

My dogs are barking, as they say, so I'm looking forward to my "office hours" at the Dundas library tomorrow morning. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment