Wednesday 23 July 2014

More Parades Please

Today was a banner day! Well no not literally. Allow me to elaborate.

First thing this morning, I popped out on to the front porch to grab the paper and what I found there made my entire day. I got my first postcard back!

Success!
For those either out-of-practice or unfamiliar with "kindergarten-ese", the card reads "More Parades Please". I couldn't have said it better myself.

Speaking from experience, "parades" should be a lot easier to organize in Hamilton. One has only to look at the difficulties Cactus Fest is having to understand that something needs to change. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I organize a really big Provincial-level bike race in Ancaster every Good Friday. I've done this with the help of the Community Partnership Program (CPP) and the Special Event Advisory Team (SEAT). Everyone on Staff at the City has been most helpful and it's been a pleasure to work with them.

However, it is far from the most straightforward process I've ever encountered and I pity anyone who is a first-time event organizer. To the City's credit, Staff has been directed to streamline and simplify the process. 

As an event organizer, I've recently been invited to review and comment on the proposed new system. It looks really promising and it makes grant applications for every sort of funding a one-stop affair. I really hope it works so that we can have a lot more parades!

Finally, I've just fulfilled a boyhood wish of mine. I just ordered 1,000 custom printed balloon. I can hardly wait until they get here!

Balloons for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment