Wednesday 16 July 2014

Power to the People!

It's been a busy 24 hours here at campaign HQ (aka, my living room). I came home from my inaugural "office hours" at the Dundas library to find a huge pile of cases on the dining room table. Christmas in July!

Things just got real!
Looks like I'll be putting my new campaign shoes to good use making sure every home in the ward gets one of these!

I also wrapped up my battle with WordPress and got my website up and running. It will continue to evolve as I develop more content. You can visit it here: www.marcrisdale.ca. There's a handy menu button and the top right that takes you back here to Blogger.

I also filled out a candidate profile for The Spec and started looking at a survey from the Hamilton & District Labour Council. That last one is a toughy and I'm going to take a few days to contemplate my answers to the long-form questions.

Anyhow, as I mentioned yesterday, I headed over to Democracy on Locke last night to participate in The People's Platform. I really wasn't sure what to expect but wow, what a turn-out! It was standing room only and people were spilling out onto the sidewalk.

Chock-a-block
I thought the process was extremely well moderated and every effort was made to make sure that everyone had a voice. Just look at all these ideas people put up!

Wow!
I even managed to end up in one of Joey Coleman's tweets!

Oh hai!
It was a truly inspiring evening. It was amazing to see so many people engage with the political process. There will be more events in the series so watch this space for more details.

The icing on the cake was what I saw on my way back.

Most excellent!

Coming up

For tonight, I was invited by a Dundas citizen to attend an information session regarding local improvement charges (LICs), an affordable way to make significant energy saving improvements to your home.

Wednesday, July 16, at 7 pm, at Laidlaw Memorial United Church, 155 Ottawa Street North (corner of Ottawa and Cannon)

Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment