Wednesday 2 July 2014

Trilliums at Christie Lake Conservation Area


Hi, my name is Marc Risdale and I want to be your next Councillor.

If you're reading this, you're probably wondering who I am and why I want to run to represent Dundas (Ward 13) for the next four years.

With the help of this blog, over the next four months, I hope to make it clear why I think I'm the right person for the job. It should also be an interesting window for you, the reader, into the ins and outs of running for public office. I've never done this before so I'll be learning as I go along.

I've always been interested in public service and when I read in the Dundas Star News last Thursday that Russ Powers wouldn't be seeking re-election this year, I figured this was my chance.

Though it's only been a few short days since his announcement, I've given a great deal of thought to what my platform should be (any decent campaign needs a platform).

Briefly, I've distilled my ideas into five main planks under a pretty snappy banner:

Dundas 2020 - A Vision for a Strong and Vibrant Community

1. Attract Families
2. Welcome Innovation
3. Encourage Diversity
4. Enhance Infrastructure
5. Increase Prosperity

I think it's vital to have a vision for how we want our town to look in the future and I will go into more detail on what these "planks" mean to me in the next while.

I think it's only fitting that I launch this blog and my campaign following a beautiful Canada Day. I draw a great deal of inspiration from Rick Mercer, who, as it happens, is about be inducted into the Order of Canada. "Behind his mischievous smile, his message to Canadians is to get involved in the political process, their communities and to celebrate Canada." (The Globe and Mail, July 1, 2014)

This morning, I went to City Hall to submit my nomination paperwork. I sincerely hope you have as much fun reading about my adventures I have telling you about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment