Sunday 20 July 2014

My Summer Reading List

Eliabeth Renzetti had a great piece in the Globe this weekend. It was all about the impossibility of summer reading lists. Essentially, movers and shakers publish these lists of insurmountable tomes and we're all left to stumble around wondering why the books we "should" read aren't more fun.

I could sit here and try to impress you by saying that I'm just digging into Hillary Clinton's new bio or tell you that I just *love* Thomas Piketty's Capital in the Twenty-First Century but frankly, the summer is just too freaking short to plow through something so serious.

Here's a picture that illustrates the depth and breadth of my summer reading:

Heavy!
Now, I will say that Pearls Before Swine is no ordinary comic strip. Its author, Stephan Pastis (in the grand tradition of Charles Shultz, Gary Larson, Berkeley Breathed and Bill Watterson) has a unique insight into the human condition. The collection I'm currently reading dates back to 2008 and while some of the references are an interesting window into the "past" (George W. Bush is still President), the truths elucidated therein are still very real.

Oh ya, and the X-Men book... what can I say, I'm a Marvel geek.

We had another great day in the woods today out at Christie Lake. While it was rainy and somewhat miserable in the valley, once we emerged from the fog to greet highway 5, things weren't all that bad. 

Misty, like the corners of my mind
Everything was so still and dense. Getting there before all the dog-walkers and trail-runners is an immensely fulfilling thing.

Most of the guys that come out to build are Dads and we're all comfortable enough with the general scene that we mostly let the kids we bring with us roam free (my boy being the exception since he's not yet three). It's a great way to give our kids an appreciation for nature and a better understanding of the wild world around them. To me, it's an important educational experience.

Mr. Jumpy, the trail-building toad
We made some significant progress again today and if you've never been, even if you're not a moutain biker, I strongly encourage you to come visit. The trails we're building are there for everyone to enjoy. Pack up a picnic lunch, prowl around the woods and enjoy the serenity. You'll be glad you did!

As is our habit, we stopped by Taylor Farms on the way home (just across highway 5 from Flamboro Downs) to pick up some corn, field tomatoes (already!) and blue berries. If you haven't visited there yet, don't wait! It may be the best local produce market in the region. Almost everything they have in stock was picked that day. It is outstanding! 

Taylor Farms - so good!
Anyhow, tomorrow is the start of my campaign postcard blitz. I'm going to be canvassing Dundas six hours a day until I've reached every single home in town. My goal is to have reached everyone in time for Cactus Fest. I anticipate some sore feet!




No comments:

Post a Comment