Monday 28 July 2014

Coping with Adversity

Nope nope nope


Canvassing in the rain is a lonely job. I am generally trying to do my best to keep things very low-key for my first round of canvassing. After all, this is summer time and to most people, the municipal elections seems like a lifetime away.

If someone is out in their front yard, on the sidewalk or sitting on their front porch, I have no qualms about introducing myself and handing out a card. Beyond that, I do my best to respect people's privacy. Besides, I would say that probably 50% of homes in Dundas have some sort of "No Soliciting" or "No Junk Mail" sign hanging outside.

I rationalize to myself that my cards are not junk mail but important election information.

This approach has served me well so far. I can move through most neighbourhoods relatively quickly, which is good because I have a LOT of ground to cover. When someone is open to a conversation, I give them all the time they want to spare me. I've learned so much in just one week! Unsurprisingly, the people of Dundas have a lot on their minds!

With the hundreds and hundreds of cards I've distributed, I've only had four people go out of their way to reject them. To them, I smile, wave and wish them a nice day.

Despite all the great and valuable encounters I've had, I am a fairly sensitive guy and it's the rejections that stick with me.

Then, out of the blue, I get an e-mail on my phone that's a cogent and thoughtful response to my cards. My smile is instantly restored and the bounce is back in my step. People really are responding to my message and it is very gratifying.

It was just shortly after I received just such an e-mail that I was tracked-down by the gentleman that puts all that fine work into the Dundas Facebook page. If you haven't been yet, you should visit - it's great. Don't forget to "like" it.

Anyhow, we've been trying to connect for some time now and we finally had a chance to get our first video interview "in the can". You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/dundasontario1847

It wasn't such a bad day after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment