Tuesday 5 August 2014

A Most Curious Encounter

I had a very curious encounter while I was out canvassing last week. (I'm going to keep details purposely vague.) I was speaking with a resident and he asked "So what can I do for you?"

"Well, the thing that would help me the most is if you vote for me."

"How about if I give you your card back. What did that cost you to print?"

"It cost two cents. You keep it. I don't really need it back."

"Here, I'm just going to give you $40."

"Oh, that's OK, I'm not looking for a donation. Besides, for that much money, I'd have to issue a receipt and I don't have any with me."

"Just pretend you found it on the street and do something worthwhile with it."

"Um, OK. Well thanks and have a nice day!"

I now had two crisp twenty dollar bills in my pocket that I didn't really want and I wasn't sure what to do with them.

I pondered for a few hours and suddenly it came to me.

The next day, I stopped by the Dundas Salvation Army just after lunch and gave them the first twenty. "Do something good with it." They offered a receipt but I didn't need one.

Saturday, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we had lunch at 541 Eatery and Exchange on Barton Street. I took the second twenty and bought twenty buttons for the button exchange.

That was something worthwhile.

I'll cap off this strange post with an equally strange mailbox I found this morning. It cracks me up.

You've got mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment