Sunday 17 August 2014

It's a Wrap

Wow, that was some party! I'm taking a few minutes to check in as I sit here on the couch with a wee dram of Speyside. Without a doubt, Cactus Fest was a resounding success!

If you're into metrics, consider that I gave away approximately 750 balloons and roughly the same number of stickers. Even if all that doesn't translate directly into votes, it was worth every cent to see all those kids light up when I gave them a balloon. Cliché though it may sound, it was priceless.

The Big Idea Wall was also a massive hit. Here's how it looked when I set it up at 9:30 this morning:

Massive response
It's pretty much out of control now - I'm almost out of sticky notes! People are clearly expressing a desire to be heard and I am glad to give it to them. I'll go into further detail tomorrow when I type out each note verbatim but I will say that there is some really great stuff in there and it was a pleasure to discuss all of these issues with their authors.

Here's a parting shot of the street about an hour before tear-down. The weather today was a real gift. People were out in droves!

Dundas shining!
I've been in the habit of sharing a recipe on the weekend and while this isn't especially fancy, it is very seasonal and it's what we did tonight with a patio full of friends and family to wrap up the amazing Cactus Festival weekend.

BBQ Roasted Whole Salmon

Step 1: Get your coals started, preferably hardwood lump.

Step 2: Line a BIG roasting pan with parchment paper or silicone and add one whole fresh wild BC salmon (it's in season!), properly oiled and seasoned inside and out - add some thyme and lemon juice if you're feeling crazy.

Step 3: Set on indirect high heat for 45 minutes. 

Step 4: Serve with steamed corn on the cob, sliced field tomatoes and heaps of dry Riesling.


No comments:

Post a Comment